Our retina specialists are board-certified ophthalmologists with advanced training in vitreoretinal surgery to diagnose and manage the full spectrum of diseases affecting the retina, macula, and vitreous.
Barry A. Mandell, MD
Following completion of his fellowship training, Dr. Barry Mandell joined the Retina Consultants of St. Louis (Barnes Retina Institute) where he was on the clinical faculty of Washington University from 1993-1998. During that period, he served as the Director of Retina Fellowship Training. A native Virginian, he returned to the Tidewater area in 1998 and ultimately founded the Mandell Retina Center in 2007.
Dr. Mandell's diverse clinical interests include Age Related Macular Degeneration, Diabetic Retinopathy, Retinal Vascular diseases, Retinal Detachments, Pediatric Retinal Diseases, Macular Holes, Macular Puckers, and Ocular Trauma. He is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Society of Retina Specialists, and Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. Since 1998 he has been on the clinical faculty of Eastern Virginia Medical School's Department of Ophthalmology.
- Ophthalmology: American Board of Ophthalmology
- Specialty: Medical and Surgical Treatment of Vitreoretinal Disorders
- Undergraduate: The University of Virginia
- Medical School: The Medical College of Virginia
- Ophthalmology Residency: Emory University (Chief Resident)
- Vitreoretinal Fellowship: Emory University